Sodium Diet Food List - List III
LIST III: FOODS WITH HIGH SODIUM CONTENT - These foods should be avoided.
- All excepting special low sodium cheese or low sodium cottage cheese
- Bacon, ham, hot dogs, sausages, bologna, luncheon meat; canned, salted, dried, smoked or pickled meat, fish or poultry. Herring caviar, regular canned tuna and salmon, anchovies, sardines and salted cod. Canned crab, shrimp, lobster and oysters. Salt pork, chipped or corned beef, brain, kidney, meats koshered by salting. Regular peanut butter.
- Most seasonings, sauces, marinades with salt.
- Sauerkraut, olives, pickles, regular canned vegetables and canned vegetable juices. Any vegetable prepared in brine.
- Salted butter or margarine, commercial salad dressings and regular mayonnaise, bacon fat, salted nuts, canned gravies.
- All regular canned soups, soup mixes, broth, bouillon, consommé, commercial bouillon cubes, powders or liquids.
BREADS & CEREALS
- Regular and yeast breads and rolls prepared with salt, dry cereals other than those listed in LIST I, regular pancakes, muffins, biscuits, cornbread, crackers and mixes. Potato chips, corn chips, pretzels, salted popcorn. Corn meal and self-rising flour.
- Instant pudding, pie crust unless prepared without salt, desserts in excess of the amount allowed in LIST II.
- Dutch process cocoa, soft drinks or beer which have been boiled in areas high in sodium content in their water supplies.